Climbing The Misti Volcano 2 Days – 1 Night
Climbing The Misti Volcano 2 Days – 1 Night
The Misti climb, in fact, one of the easiest ascents of any mountain of this size in the world. There are great views from the top. Although El Misti is an active volcano it has only erupted four times in the last 500 years. Best to acclimatize at higher altitudes such as Cusco or Lake Titicaca before attempting this trek.
- The Misti Volcano is one of the most emblematic attractions of the Yanahuara district, in the province and department of Arequipa; This volcano is located in the Chili Valley, and is only 20 km from the Chachani volcano.
- This volcano has a height of 5,825 meters above sea level and is presented as an active volcano thanks to which the city of Arequipa has one of the richest farmlands.
- The Misti, together with the Chachani, is one of the volcanoes that presents the easiest ascent in Peru, in fact the ascent to the Misti volcano is considered not a mountaineering route, but a trekking route, where the main difficulty is the ash volcanic energy that emanates from the volcano, as well as the formation of dunes that slow down the ascent.
- Altitud: 5822 msnm (19,100 feet)
- Temperature: Extremely cold at night temperatures as low as -15ºC (5ºF). During the day, heat can reach 5ºC. (41ºF).
- Difficuty level: Challenging; good physical condition
- Tour Type: Hiking, adventure, camping
- Duration: 2 days & 1 night
- Hours: Pick up between 08: 00 – 08:30 am
Day 1: Arequipa – Base camp (Misti)
at 8am. we pick-up at hotel and travel 1 1/2 hours in our four wheels drives vehicle to the base of the volcano (3400m). We arrive at the West part of the base of Misti volcano.
at 10am. we will arrival to Los Pastores (3400 meters above sea level) which is the maximum point for our four wheel drives and begins our ascent. This is six to eight hours to the Eagles Nest base camp (4800 meters above sea level). This is a hard day as we walk up the sandy and slippery trail. You need to be in good physical condition and acclimatized to the altitude.
at 5pm. arrival to our base camp, dinner, set-up our tents and rest.
Difficulty of trekking: Low
Maximum altitude: 4800 msnm (15744 feet)
Day 2: Base Camp – Summit Volcano Misti - Arequipa
This day will start early at 4am after breakfast you will start climbing to the summit of volcano .We will follow a vertical ascent (hard and freezing) for about 6 hours, including the snow area (depending on the season) (crampons + ice axe – can be use in snow season only).
The time of ascent will depend on the physical condition and acclimatization of each climber.
Once you reach the Summit, depend on the time you may descend into the old crater where it is possible to see volcano activity. Alternatively you will have a short walk over the top and around the biggest crater of this volcano. There is time for pictures as well as an opportunity to soak up the beautiful landscapes from one of the highest mountain in this volcanic chain. You will then descend to base camp, pack up camp and descend further to find your transportation waiting for the group to return to Arequipa. Estimated arrival time to Arequipa is 2pm.
Difficulty of trekking: Challenging
Maximum altitude: 5822 msnm (19100 feet)
to have good acclimatization, good physical conditions and good quality winter clothes. One day before all the climbers will have meeting with the mountain guide at our office or in the hotel, who will give a Briefing about this climb and also you can check the quality of the climb gear will be used on the mountain.
- Certified Experienced Mountain English-Speaking guide
- Porter to carry foods and camping gear (tents & mattresses – Private Service only)
- Private four wheel drive (4×4)
- Camping Equipment (Four seasons mountain tent and mattresses)
- Cooking gear
- Climbing equipment such as crampons, ice axe and rope, only if there is snow on the top
- Meals on the Mountain (1 hot dinner – 1 hot breakfast)
- Plenty of hot Coca tea
- Oxygen bottle and first aid kit for the participants and our camp staff
- Communication system, guides climb with their mobile phones
- Tents and food for our camp staff
- Sleeping bag -5ºC (can be hired from our office of Arequipa $10 USD per day)
- Tip for guide and camp staff
- Wind proof jacket or wind proof pants (can be hired from our office of Arequipa $5 USD per day each thing)
- Water proof climbing boot (can be hired from our office of Arequipa $9 USD per day)
- Travel insurance
- Drinking water – 6 liters per person for 2 days
- Breakfast on the first day/snacks
- Headlamp gloves (Group & Semi-Private Service)
Difficulty ascent Misti
The first thing you have to know is that the ascent to the Misti is a moderate walk suitable for all those who have a minimum physical preparation. However, this volcano reaches 5,822 meters above sea level, so before starting the trek it is advisable to spend a couple of days in Arequipa to acclimatize to the altitude.
How to get to the volcano
To get to the Misti there are two access routes. The first of them starts from the town of Chiguata, 30 km from the city, and the second goes through the Aguada Blanca and Salinas National Reserve, where you can see animals such as vicuñas in their natural habitat.
What To Bring
- Backpack 70Lt minimum to carry all your personal things and camping gear
Sleeping bag -5ºC (can be hired from our office in Arequipa $10 USD per day)
- Windproof jacket & pants
- Headlamp with plenty of batteries
- Strong comfortable and waterproof boots
- One complete change of clothing
- Sweater and thermal pants and everything you can have to be warm
6 liters of water per person minimum (5 to drink and 1 for cooking – Except for Private Service)
- Hat or cap and sun block to be protected from the strong sun
- Toilet paper
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits, etc
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries
- Sunglass is strongly recommended to protect your eyes from the snow and sun
- Your personal medications
- Another personal items
|Number of persons||Details||Price
This price $ 120 Per Person (Up to 4 people per each guide): The minimum number for this service is 2 participants and this can be booked in advance to guarantee the depart according your request – This includes a porter to the camping gear as tents, mats, sleeping bags and other up to 18kg and only to the base camp (4600m) – Reserving this service you have to share the transport with other customers.