Machu Picchu Tour With Expedition Train 1 Day
Machu Picchu Tour With Expedition Train 1 Day
The Machu Picchu Tour with Expedition Train offers a whirlwind adventure, allowing visitors to experience the awe-inspiring wonder of Machu Picchu in a single day. This condensed journey provides a seamless blend of breathtaking train rides, ancient Inca history, and the unparalleled beauty of Machu Picchu.This one-day Machu Picchu Tour with the Expedition Train is designed for those with limited time who still want to witness the splendor of this ancient Inca site. It provides a memorable and efficient journey through the heart of the Andes to one of the world’s most iconic archaeological wonders.
- Scenic Train Journey: Enjoy a picturesque train ride through the Andean landscapes, providing breathtaking views of mountains, valleys, and the Urubamba River.
- Machu Picchu Guided Tour: Explore the iconic Machu Picchu with a knowledgeable guide, uncovering the mysteries of its architecture, history, and cultural significance.
- Independent Exploration: After the guided tour, have the freedom to explore Machu Picchu at your own pace, capturing unique perspectives and enjoying moments of solitude.
- Cultural Immersion: Experience the vibrant atmosphere of Aguas Calientes, the gateway town to Machu Picchu, where you can interact with locals and explore the town’s offerings.
1. Early Morning Departure:
- The day typically begins with an early morning departure from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, where the Expedition Train station is located.
2. Scenic Train Ride to Aguas Calientes:
- Board the Expedition Train for a scenic journey through the picturesque landscapes of the Sacred Valley. Enjoy panoramic views as the train winds its way along the Urubamba River.
3. Arrival in Aguas Calientes:
- Arrive at Aguas Calientes, the town at the base of Machu Picchu. From here, buses are available to transport visitors to the entrance of Machu Picchu.
4. Guided Tour of Machu Picchu:
- Embark on a guided tour of Machu Picchu led by a knowledgeable local guide. Explore the temples, terraces, and plazas while learning about the history and significance of this ancient Inca citadel.
5. Free Time at Machu Picchu:
- After the guided tour, visitors have free time to explore Machu Picchu independently, capturing photos, and absorbing the mystical atmosphere of this UNESCO World Heritage site.
6. Return to Aguas Calientes:
- Descend from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes by bus and enjoy some free time in the town. It’s an opportunity to have lunch, shop for souvenirs, or relax in the hot springs (optional).
7. Return Journey to Cusco:
- Board the Expedition Train in the late afternoon for the return journey to Ollantaytambo.
8. Arrival in Cusco:
- Arrive back in Cusco in the evening, concluding the whirlwind Machu Picchu Tour.
Cusco - Machu Picchu - Cusco
This is the day you’ve been waiting for! We pick you up at your hotel 4:00am, and then drive in our private van to Ollantaytambo Train Station to leave on the 6:10am train. (If you prefer to begin in Ollentaytambo, we will pick you up at your hotel 5:20 – 5:30). Your train departs Ollantaytambo at 6:10 and immediately enters the narrow Vilcanota River canyon. The steep canyon walls on each side are covered with lush sub-tropical jungle. Look carefully for the Inca terraces across the river, some of which are still farmed today!
Arriving in Aguas Calientes, your guide will meet you at the train station, then you will have a little time to buy a snack before you take the shuttle up to Machu Picchu. Your guide will give you the full tour, which takes about two hours. You will see all of the most important parts of Machu Picchu, including the Temple of the Sun, Temple of the Condor, Temple of Three Windows, Sun Dial, Quarry and the House of the Inca. You will also learn about how Machu Picchu is divided into three sectors: agricultural, residential and religious.
When you have had your fill of the exceptional views of Machu Picchu, you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes for lunch (not included). Depending on your train departure time, you may also have time for some shopping, sightseeing or a visit to the museum or hot springs. Your train will depart at 14:55 or 15:20.
The train will take you back to Ollantaytambo, following the spectacular Urubamba River. Close to Aguas Calientes, the canyon is narrow and the river has many beautiful sections of whitewater. You can also see Wiñay Wayna from the train, if you look up high on the steep canyon wall! Back at Ollantaytambo, your driver will meet you at the exit from the train station to take you back to your hotel in Cusco in our private vehicle. You can expect to arrive at your hotel by 21:00 hrs Aprox.
- Transfer at 4:00am from your hotel to Ollantaytambo by private van
- Expedition train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Round-trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (30mins)
- Ticket for the Machu Picchu Citadel
- Guided tour in English 2 hours
- Small group from 2 to 8 people with an experienced guide fluent in English
- Expedition train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Transfer by car Ollantaytambo to Cusco
- Hiking Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mt. is not possible with the time schedule of a one-day tour.
- Tips for your guide
- Buy the ticket to Machu Picchu and train tickets in advance.
- Carry your identity document in your hand luggage.
- Arrive at the train station 30 minutes before departure time.
- You should carry cash, either soles (Peruvian currency) or dollars, in small denominations, because most places in Aguas Calientes do not accept cards.
- Get on very early or in the afternoon, since the most visited hours are from 10 am to 2 pm, this way it will be much easier to enjoy the tour.
- Book flights and train tickets in advance to get the lowest prices.
- Plan your trip, thinking that to get to Cusco you must first get to Lima and leave from there.
- The best time to travel to Machu Picchu is during the months of April to October, which is its dry season, since in the other months it could rain and it would not be possible.
- Carry these items in your backpack as they will be necessary and prices may increase: water, snacks, sunscreen, cookies and other basic products.
What To Bring
- Personal water bottle and snack
- Camera + Film/Video camera (optional)
- Carry these items in your backpack
- cookies and other basic products.